I’ve been struggling with health issues since my bowel
obstruction surgery back on September 11th. My body struggles with any food I eat. I expected to be back to work in 10 days. After several complications, it took 90 days
to recover. I was scheduled to come back on Monday, the 12th of Nov,
so we took our fall trip to Montana on the 9th – 11th. I was praying my body would cooperate.
I look back on this weekend and see the gamut of emotions.
From the high of winning the family “big fish” contest in Montana, first-time
fishing, feeling incredible peace and reverence on the water. This moment has
become my go to, when I need a happy place to go to.
We were home about 2 1/2 hours when the knock came on the
door. November 11th, around 5:30ish.
My son had died earlier in the day. I had incredible anxiety, like nothing I
have ever experienced throughout the day, leading up to the news. I kept pushing it down, thinking it was related
to work and the prep I needed to do. Looking back, my spirit knew something was
wrong.
The words to this song hit my heart, as it describes the moment
you wake up and then remember.
LET IT HURT –
RASCAL FLATTS
7:42 in the
morning
8 seconds before
it all sinks in
Put your best
face on for the world
Fake another
smile and just pretend
But you’re
just putting off the pain
Nothing’s
ever really gonna change
(Chorus)
So let it
hurt
Let it beat
Let it take
you
Right down
to your knees
Let it burn
To the worst
degree
May not be
what you want
But it’s
what you need
Sometimes
the only way around it
Is to let
love do its work
And let it
hurt
Yeah, let it
hurt
3:28 in the
morning
Counting up
the spaces between the rain
You’re getting
used to
The rocks at
the bottom
Your heart
goes numb
But the lonely
stays the same
And that’s
the price
You’re bound
to pay
And there’s
really
Nothing
anyone can say
Oh, there’s
only just one way
(Repeat Chorus)
You just
might find you’re better for it
When you let
go and you learn
To let it
hurt
Let it bleed
Let it take
you
Right down to
your knees
Sometimes
the only way around it
Is to let
love do its work
So go on,
and let it hurt
Oh, let it
hurt
7:42 in the
morning
8 seconds
before it all sinks in.
The price we pay for love after a loss like this, is incredible.
I know his pain is gone. I long for his hug, but know I would want more. I feel like a shadow of the girl I was in Montana,
feeling the joy of family.
A friend of
mine knew the pain I was in last week at work.
Normally work is my safe place. I
know what to do there. It gives me a
distraction, but this day, I was on the verge of tears every few minutes. A song on the way to work triggered intense emotions.
She came in four hours early to work and insisted I go home. Her words of “I don’t know what else I can do
for you, but I can do this, please let me help.” I love you TC!!!
Another friend
asked if she could put my name on the prayer rolls in the temple. She used the same words of “I don’t know what
I can do or say, but I can do this.” She reminded me to breathe. I didn’t realize the swallow breaths I was
taking. Thank you, Paula. I love you!
“Friendship
is the comfort of knowing that even when you feel alone, you aren’t.”
(unknown author)
This is a
journey I never wanted to take. How
grateful I am for those of you that have chosen to ride with me, when getting
off the train would be easier.

No comments:
Post a Comment